Peony Plant

Sticky Substance on My Peony Buds What Is It and Will I Lose the Flowers. How Can I Get Rid of It Please

Monahliza added on May 11, 2017 | Answered

There is a sticky substance on my paeony buds. Can you tell me what it is please and how do I get rid of it. In fact do I need to

The sticky substance you may get on your fingers while disbudding is a sugar substance (like a nectar) that the plant exudes during this stage presumably to help the petals to slip on each other as they are putting on tremendous growth during the month. (I usually come in from disbudding with sticky thighs on my jeans, but at least it is washable, and just tastes like sugar if you lick your fingers.) This sugar substance may attract ants which like to feed on it. Ants are not a problem to the plant unless they make a nest at the base.

Here are more questions about Peony Plant