Philodendron Plants

Split/Cut Leaf Philodendron Root System

I just had to have a beautiful 30 year old oak cut down due to severe root invasion and sidewalk heaving. The tree was planted way too close to the house by developer. I have 2 - 8 year old split leaf philodendrons on the other side of my entry that are gorgeous bushy masses. I am planting a 4 stalk Adonidia where the oak was and would love to plant a philodendron on either side (slightly behind). About 4-5 feet from my house and the front sidewalk. My Association would not appreciate another root invasion. My question being ; will the roots be too invasive. Are the roots strong enough to do damage to a sidewalk? Thanks in advance.

I have heard of split leaf philodendrons damaging a sidewalk because they were allowed to become very overgrown.However, they can be kept under control by pruning. Excessive roots, or roots that are growing into an area you don't want them, emerging from aboveground can be trimmed off.
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/indoor/foliage/hgic1509.html

00
Here are more questions about Philodendron Plants