Spaghetti Squash Plants

Spaghetti Squash

Ybette92801 added on September 5, 2016 | Answered

I tried to prune my spaghetti squash because it was leaning on other plants. As soon as I cut the leaves, they started to wither and die. Should I cut them off the vine and allow them to ripen inside? Or leave them on the vine? This is my first garden, and it was doing well.

Leave the squash on the vine to ripen because they will not ripen properly off the vine. Your plants look like they still have enough leaves to support the fruit, but if it looks like the plant is not doing well, you can remove one fruit to reduce stress. They will probably do fine left alone though.

It is usually not necessary to prune spaghetti squash, but you can remove individual leaves that are shading other plants. Squashes can get to be quite large, so plan a large space in the garden for them next year.

Here are more questions about Spaghetti Squash Plants