Lettuce Plants

Something’s Eating Seedlings

I have planted seed for lettuce 3 times, spinach and beets twice, and have transplanted some small tomato seedlings twice. Yet, when the seedlings emerge by the 2nd day of visible leaves, most are gone, and by 3rd day all are gone. Even with the transplants of tomato seedlings the first leaves to disappear are the newest, then next day the rest of the leaves, leaving the stalk and then the green stalk will also be gone. I have not been able to catch what is doing this. There are some 'roly poly' bugs I have seen, but it would take more of them than I have seen I would think. What can I do to stop whatever this is? I want more than half a dozen spinach plants and 1 leaf lettuce, but that is all that's survived so far to pick!

Answered on November 30, -0001

I have to assume since you are not seeing anything that it's a slug feasting on your little plants. They tend to come out at night, so this would be the reason for not seeing them. They do, however, leave signs of their presence through shiny, slimy looking trails. Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/facts-about-slugs-and-how-to-kill-garden-slugs.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lettuce Plants