Soil Problems

Tim t added on August 13, 2016 | Answered

I have just moved into a new home about 3 months ago. I did a self home test of the soil. It shows very low nitrogen, very low potassium, and almost no phosphorus. What do I need to do to get the soil ready to plant my garden next year? Please help, I have to have a garden.

Organic fertilizers for your garden include compost (adds nutrients and also improves the structure and fertility of your soil) and other options described in this article:

Bone meal is great for adding phosphorus, while cured manure, worm castings, or blood meal are organic sources of nitrogen.

Conventional fertilizers list their proportions of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus on the label. Different balances are optimal for different vegetables and fruits, for example see this article for tomatoes:

Here are more questions about Soil Problems