Hibiscus Plants

Size Reduction of Large Hibiscus

Anonymous added on January 11, 2017 | Answered

When we purchased our house a couple of years ago, the gardeners treated the large plant near our front porch like a shrub and continually shaped the plant accordingly to avoid overflow of the growth over the sidewalk or height of the plant to interfere with a light-sensitive porch light. This fall, however, I asked the gardeners to leave the plant alone and shortly thereafter discovered that the plant was a beautifully blooming red hibiscus. My problem now is to reduce the size of the plant to the point that it can grow upwards and laterally to allow for blooms without interfering with functional parts of the porch area. Is this possible without killing the plant? If so, when should I do the work? and how should I proceed? I have a number of rose plants and therefore don't have an issue with "tough" pruning, if required. Thanks so much for your advice.

You can do pruning to help shape and think out the Hibiscus. I would suggest working in thirds. 1/3 of pruning at a time. This will reduce the stress to your lovely plant.
The link below will help you with pruning technique and timing.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/hibiscus/tips-for-pruning-hibiscus-plants-when-to-prune-hibiscus.htm

00
Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants