Wisteria Vines

Wisteria Trim

marytrex added on May 13, 2012 | Answered

We just planted the above vine at a corner of a patio pergola where our hot tub sits. It is attached to our garage, which is attached to our house. It is approx.  28ft wide by 23ft deep (the pergola). I don't want it to invade my house siding/gutters. The plant is approx.  3ft high and bushy. It has about a 1/2-1 inch main stem branch at base with profuse greenery on it. I would like it to form a trunk like base stem till it reaches about 6ft then spread out within reason to fill the top of the pergola. The pergola is 9ft high.  I also have a yellow trumpet vine just starting out again since being chewed off to the base by the family dog. It is planted maybe 6ft going up another post base of this pergola. Should I move the trumpet vine elsewhere and should I trim off all the foliage leaves from my wisteria until it gets higher? I don't want a jungle growing on my house in 2-3 yrs. I made that mistake once before by planting Boston ivy at the base of my chimney. It was no fun removing that,  along with my siding? Can you advise?

earthenmama

Go ahead and move the yellow trumpet vine so that the pergola does not become over run. This article will help you:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/wisteria/pruning-wisteria.htm

00
Here are more questions about Wisteria Vines