Apricot Trees

Pinching Apricot to Encourage Growth

Marousko Simera added on January 10, 2015 | Answered

Should I pinch the top of my one apricot seedling stalk to encourage it to branch out? I started an apricot tree from a seed, and it is now four months old and only has one straight stalk with opposite leaves growing from this stalk. This stalk is now about 10 inches tall and I just transplanted it into a larger pot. Since I live in the Midwest with harsh winters, I will have to keep it growing in a pot for quite some time. I envision this stalk reaching the ceiling one day soon, and I need to find a method that will encourage this seedling to develop lateral branching. Thank you.

I would give it some more time. When you pinch that leader, it will force it to grow out, but it may never grow up properly again. I would wait until it gets to a height that you would like it to be, then you can pinch the top to encourage lateral growth if you still feel it needs encouragement.

00
Here are more questions about Apricot Trees