Citrus Trees

Shade Cloth Cover Over Fruit Trees Good Idea or Not?

Hlebreton added on June 30, 2012 | Answered

I live in Los Banos. Moved here from San Jose 3 yrs ago. Weather and sun get very hot, over 100, a lot of days in summer. My trees are getting burned by the sun. Thinking of getting a sun shade cloth for over my metal gazebo (20ft x 20ft) and planting my citrus trees under it. Good idea or bad? If good, what strength - 40%, 50%, 60%, or 70%. Direct sun fruit dropping, new growth burning. Need suggestions. Thanks.

I think that a shade cloth is a good idea and would work well to help alleviate the problem. How much shade I would not be very helpful with as I am not familiar with your exact area. I would recommend giving your local extension service a call and asking them what they would recommend. They would know what would be best for your exact area and will be thrilled to help.

Here are more questions about Citrus Trees