Sago Palm Trees

Sago Palm Question

I bought my daughter a sago palm from Home Depot for her room at college. Fearing the worst (no watering, etc), I was surprised to see when I visited her a few months later that the palm pretty much looked the same as when I bought it, except that it had 4 long tapering "growths" or stems (for lack of a better term) growing from it with little "nubs" on them. Are these new leaves? The ones on the existing plant when I bought it seemed a whole lot sturdier than this new growth.

What you are describing sounds like sago pups, which can be removed to make additional plants. This article should help with that:

Additionally, very long, leggy leaf growth can indicate that the plant is not getting enough light. It will stretch its leaves out to try to get more light. Moving it to a brighter location will help prevent this.

Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees