Pussy Willow Trees

Salix Caprea Pendula Pussywillow Tree

I recently bought a weeping pussywillow tree, grafted type, from a local nursery. How exactly do I trim this tree? And when do I do this? Also, where on the branch? There are some catkins on the branches and there are some green leafy looking stems growing out of the stems towards the top (not the ends). I plan to put it outside as soon as I am allowed, either in the landscape or berm or even in a wetter part of the yard that gets standing water sometimes. Any help specifically about my plant would really help out! It is only about 18 inches. Is that the tallest the plant will get because of the graft? What exactly does it mean that it's grafted anyway? Can it take full/direct sun in the morning and some in the afternoon?

Wait until the catkins have done their thing and go ahead and prune the heck out of it—all branches, all the way to about a foot from the ground. On grafted plants, look for the "collar" of the graft. It will be near the base and will look like a healed scar that goes all the way around the trunk. Anything that grows below this collar needs to be cut off. Anything that grows above the collar is fine, if you want it to grow in that direction. It will grow taller through branches that shoot off from the main trunk. This article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/pussy-willow/how-prune-pussy-willows.htm

This article will help explain what grafting is: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/grafting-trees-what-is-tree-grafting.htm

00
Here are more questions about Pussy Willow Trees