Sago Palm Trees

Sago Parasite

My Sagos have had a parasitic looking white coating on each branch that eventually kills the branch. I have cut all branches off more than once since I have not found anything to combat this problem. I have tried systemic remedies. I have fertilized regularly hoping the plant will get strong enough to combat this problem, but it is coming back with a vengeance again.

Do you know what this is and is there something that will work? I was told to spray the parasite with oil (cooking oil), that it will smother it and kill it, didn't work. I have a Japanese garden and eleven sagos, which are the mainstay of my yard. HELP!!!!

It sounds like mealybugs. I would treat the plants with neem oil. This is organic and safe for people and pets and very effective on these pests. These articles will help:

Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees