What's your question? Ask

Hyacinth Plant

Q.Sago Palms

Danita added on April 10, 2013 | Answered

Are people aware that the Sago Palm is highly toxic to pets and small children? Why is this such a little known fact and, unfortunately, only discovered after a pet becomes ill and, most often, dies from ingesting the palm?

A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Answered on April 15, 2013

Many plants that we grow in our yards and homes are toxic, or even deadly. Even common plants with edible parts like tomatoes and potatoes can make a person or a pet very ill if the leaves are ingested. Best practice would be to teach children and pets not to eat plants, but if this not possible - a parent or pet owner is wise to rigorously research plants they want to put in their yard or home for possible toxic side effects.

Thank you for taking the time to remind us all of this fact. No one wishes to lose a loved one to an unknown danger in the garden.

Was this answer useful?

Log in or sign up to help answer this question.

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

You must be logged into your account to answer a question.

If you don't have an account sign up for an account now.

Looking for more?
here are more questions about...
Hyacinth Plant
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert