Sago Palm Trees

Sago Palm Transplant

I transplanted my sago plam into a bigger pot but was not sure if I am using the right soil. Should it be dense potting soil or a looser variety? It is looking pretty sad and thought I used the wrong soil.

They prefer loose, well-draining soil. It is normal for them to look a bit ragged after repotting or transplanting as they adjust to their new environment. You may want to consider trimming the plant back to help with transplant shock. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/learn-how-to-avoid-and-repair-transplant-shock-in-plants.htm

00

Yes, some cactus-mix soil, or potting mix, would be best. Trimming the sago would involve removing the older leaf fronds, the ones nearest the soil - in other words, at the bottom of the plant. Make sure the plant is watered-in well, then let the soil dry out nearly completely before watering again.

00
Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees