Sago Palm Trees

Sago Palm, Potted, Indoor

Noreen M Everitt added on January 24, 2018 | Answered

6 days ago I accidentally fertilized my sago with orchid fertilizer. I was worried it would harm it but everyone said no. Now, 6 days later the leaves are all turning yellow from the stem outward and the tips of the fronds are starting to brown. I rinsed it through with water, twice today,but now I don't know what to do. I love this little plant, it has only 5 fronds but was always a dark green, strong leave plant. What should I do?

Typically it would be ok to fertilize with this kind of fertilizer, but this sounds like too much was used. It should be heavily diluted before feeding.

You can attempt a flush with PURE citric acid. I always try and find lab grade. (It is the powdered crystals that are used with sour gummy candies.) Mix a tablespoon in water and water that through. After use two complete waterings with regular water to flush that out.

Then apply a little dolomitic lime, and wettable sulfur. Make sure that your container is well draining, and your planting mix doesn't retain water.

They should be allowed to dry out almost completely between waterings after this.

This article will give you more information:

Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees