Row Orientation

lisalynnolson added on March 9, 2018 | Answered

I have a square 20 X 17 garden plot in Santa Monica, CA. When it says to plant North and South--what if when I use a compass it angles through my plot now in order to be north and south, does that make any sense? Do you make the row pointing north and south according to a compass? No one talks about this so maybe they all just get it, however, the community garden plot I am in is being shaded by a large oak tree the city is not trimming and my garden is dark all winter or 5 months which is upsetting. I have been gardening about 10 years and am kind of an exact type person so thank you for any help. Lisa I thought if I did a row orientation North and South it might help as now I am more east west BUT not exactly with a compass east to west SO what I am trying to ask is do I need to do it with a compass to get the best sun? Thanks a Lot, Lisa

That will always be the most accurate way. I am the same when it comes down to it. Not only this, but I like to have all of the tallest plants to the back, or north facing side, while all of the shorter plants face south. This arrangement will give everything the most advantageous amounts of light.

My short answer would be, absolutely! But most people would not go through those lengths to be quite so accurate. I'm with you on getting the most out of your plot.

00