maryellen harris added on February 10, 2018 | Answered

I have large bushes of roses. When is best time to fertilize them? I have been using Bayer liquid. Is using granules better? Also I'm in northern California & we are going to have another bad drought year even tho no one is talking about it. When & how often should I water especially when flowers appear? thank you

Long-acting, aka controlled-release fertilizer is preferred because it is less likely to cause fertilizer burn. Many recommend feeding after the first flush of spring bloom and again around July 4th if they are ever-blooming and a light fertilization roughly 6 weeks before first frost or dormancy. This all depends on the particular food you purchase - how long-acting it is - so follow directions on the package. However, fertilizing without adequate water will stress the plant further. Check the website to the Pacific Rose Society for guidance. Here is an article on watering during drought: http://ucanr.edu/datastoreFiles/268-624.pdf

00