Rose Plant

adnanz01 added on April 27, 2018 | Answered

I brought this rose plant from nursery last week, it was quite healthy & fkowering. I shifted it into this pot. But now it seems to be fading away. There is also white snow like material on edges of the pot. Plz help how to get back this plant, happy and healthy. Rgards

I hope you have the rose where it gets at least 6 hours of direct sunlight daily. Roses are greedy for sunlight, fertilizer and water. But soil that stays wet is not good as it will lead to root rot. I'm concerned by the soil I see in your pot. It looks like soil from your yard. This just does not drain fast enough to allow healthy roots and tends to tightly compact and push out air. I think poor drainage, maybe over-watering, is leading to the fungal growth on the outside of the pot. If this is a shrub rose, it is going to outgrow that size pot. Take the opportunity to repot the rose using potting mix, not soil and pick up some fertilizer if you don't have any. If the potting mix you choose has 6 month fertilizer built in, you may not need additional fertilizer this season. After repotting, leave the rose in the shade for 3 days while the roots get settled. Water when the top 1.5-2 inches of soil are dry to the touch. Water enough so a bit comes out the bottom. Wash your terra cotta pot with soap and water and spray it with 10% beach solution before reusing it. I think the rose will perk up with this plan.

00