Rose Bush Disease

My rose bush (about 5 yrs, old) developed lots of deep red branches with rose buds at the tips. I decided that they are bad and cut off most of them (maybe about 1/3 of the big lovely rose bush). What should I do? What is it? Can this" marriage" be saved? Please help me.

The deep red branches are usually just new growth that shows the bush is happy and healthy and eager to bloom. So pruning this growth with buds is not needed. Do not worry though, they will send out more growth and buds leading to blooms. The pruning just set the blooms back two to three weeks. If it was bad growth from a virus or something, it would typically not set buds and look mottled or scraggly. Give the rosebush 1/2 cup of Epsom Salts scratched into the soils around the base well and water it in well. This will help the rosebush to generate more growth. Fertilize with your normal rose food too if you have not done so.