Rose Buds

Firebringer added on July 9, 2012 | Answered

I got some roses for my anniversary and they are losing their buds. What do I do about it?

They were giving to me by my daughter for our anniversary and i have done nothing to them not transplanting them yet now the leaves are turning brown with what looks like rust on some of the leaves they seem to be red and pink roses and they are small so should i transplant them to a bigger pot????

I am assuming the rosebushes were planted either outside in a garden or in big pots. Some roses go into major transplant shock when transplanted from their original containers to the ground or other pots. The best thing I have found to do to help with this is to get a two gallon watering can, add two tablespoons of a product called Super Thrive to the water in the can. Then add some root stimulator to the same water following the mixing directions on the label of the root stimulator. Use such a mix to water the rosebushes the next two to three times they need watering. This should help with the shock but may not save this round of buds. The good news is, this is not really so bad for the rosebush itself. The bushes can now focus on getting their root systems established rather than upon getting those buds to bloom. In the long run it does tend to make for a stronger and healthier bush.