Birch Trees

River Birch Storm Damage Cut

scsfll added on March 13, 2018 | Answered

Hi: My river Birch was just damaged in a snowstorm in Massachusetts. I want to cut it at the top where there is a chute of the fairly large branch. There person who we hired to cut it wants to cut it at the base which is one of the three \"main\" trunks which I will not do. It does not make sense to me. What is the correct answer as well as time to do it? Thanks. Steve

Ask him why he wants to cut it at the base. If there is an infection which is causing the tree to be weak, then it would be the best idea to get rid of that portion of the tree. If it is to make his job easier, then that is poor business.

If the tree is still healthy, then there is no reason to remove 1/3 of it.

As far as when to do it... Now can be fine if you can catch it before dormancy ends. Otherwise, it is best in winter.

00
scsfll

Thanks!

Tree is extremely healthy. It just took on some weight. Should I apply tree sealer?

00
Here are more questions about Birch Trees