Rhubarb Plants

I planted a rhubarb plant this spring and now that winter is coming on I want to know how to winterize it. I did not harvest any stalks this summer, and now it has a few stalks and leaves left. Should I cut the stalks down before covering with mulch, or should I just leave them? I live in Fairbanks, AK, so we experience a pretty hard winter. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

You can trim the plants back or leave them alone until after winter. They should not need any special attention through winter; however, the first winter for any plant is the hardest. Covering the ground where they are with mulch this year will help make the winter easier for them, but after this year, mulching will not help or hurt the plants. Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/rhubarb/protecting-rhubarb-in-winter.htm

Here are more questions about Rhubarb Plants