Rhubarb Plants

This is my second year for one of my rhubarb plants. When spring came, the plant grew nicely and then it flowered. The stalks never turned red so I clipped the plant and thought that maybe the second time the stalks would be the red color but they're not. Can you cut the green stalks and use them the same way I'm using the red ones? I make rhubarb pies and a butter crisp dessert. Thanks.

It depends on the variety. Some varieties should be red when harvested, while others should be harvested when green because the stalks never turn red. If you have a red variety, wait until the stalks are red to harvest. After harvesting, you can trim the plants back or leave them alone until after winter. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/rhubarb/harvesting-rhubarb.htm

Here are more questions about Rhubarb Plants