Rhoeo Plants

Rhoeo Spathacea “Moses” Transplanting

milo2bear added on July 4, 2012 | Answered

I have one of these indoors that was given to me but it has doubled in size in just 2 months and needs a bigger pot. How do I transplant it? We live in the North and it freezes outside in the winter, so it really should not go out there unless I can bring it inside in the fall. I looked online and it is apparently poisonous and so I don't know how to touch it, break it or separate roots on it. Please help.

In your area it is best to keep the plant potted and treat it as a houseplant (bright, indirect light), allowing it to spend summers outdoors (in a shaded area) and bringing it inside during fall as temps begin to drop.

While most repotting is performed in spring, it is ok to go ahead and do this if yours has gotten out of hand. Move it up another pot size or two and use a well-draining potting soil. Also, make sure your new container provides adequate drainage to prevent root rot. This article will help with repotting: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/learn-more-about-repotting-houseplants.htm

The sap is the only poisonous part and since there's no worries in the plant being eaten, your only concern would be contact dermatis (itchy or burning rash) if you are sensitive to the sap. Wearing gloves can provide adequate protection during the potting process to avoid this, though unless you break a leaf or stem off, your're unlikely to encounter this sap.

00
Here are more questions about Rhoeo Plants