Tomato Plants

Reusing Landscape Fabric

Anonymous added on January 24, 2011 | Answered

Last year I replaced the black landscape fabric in the garden where I plant my tomatoes. The tomatoes seem to do a lot better with the black fabric. Last year we had a really damp and cool spell in the summer and my tomatoes developed some type of blight or wilt; I couldn't determine which it was. I cut all the infected leaves off and removed all the infected tomatoes and sprayed with a fungicide called Daconil. It seemed to help for a while but it came back and the tomatoes didn't do very well at all. My question is whether I can reuse the landscape fabric. I plan on moving my tomatoes to another spot in the garden, but I just bought the new fabric last year and would really like to reuse it.

You can reuse it, but you will need to sterilize it. With landscape fabric, this can be done by soaking it in boiling water a few times or in bleach water (though bleach water will damage the fabric some) to kill the bacteria.

Here are more questions about Tomato Plants