Lawn Problems

Returfing in Sept/Oct

We are in the final stages of getting our garden back after an oil spill from our neighbor's pipeline. We feel now is not the time to returf the lawn, as all expectations are we are to have a cold winter. Any comments? I assume the same goes for any plants. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I would wait until spring. With the stress that was put on the soil, plus a potentially cold winter, this raises the risk of failure for any plants you put in now. I will say though that if you are not planting now, it would be an ideal time to amend the soil with compost, manure and other nutrients. This will allow them time to break down and mellow in the soil over the winter and make for a much better soil mix in the spring to plant in.

00
Here are more questions about Lawn Problems