Snake Plants

Repotting Snake Plant

RebeccaFewell added on February 26, 2018 | Answered

Hi, I'm getting ready to repot my snake plant but I don't know how deep to put it into the soil. It is currently about 2 1/2' tall and leaning as if it should be planted deeper. Any advice? I understand I should use cactus potting soil along with reg. potting soil, but all of the regular potting soil I see has fertilizer built into it. Is that OK? Thank you so much for your time. Becky Fewell

WillCreed

When Snake Plants are appropriately potbound, they stand upright on their own. When they are not potbound, they tend to lean or flop. If yours is leaning, then in does not need repotting. It may need more light or it may need better watering, but moving it to a larger pot will do more harm than good. Snakes plants need to dry out quickly after watering and a large pot will prevent that from happening.

Adding more soil to the top of the rootball for added support will cause the leaves to rot, so don't try that either. Focus on improving the light and watering.

00
Here are more questions about Snake Plants