removing diseased leaves from roses
I remove diseased leaves from rose bushes. My husband seems to think we also need to remove all the bark I put down around the roses. Is this true?
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Depends on the disease problems you are having. If the disease is a fungus or mold related disease, then yes it might be a good idea. Bark can harbor some nasty molds and funguses. You could also spray the bark down real thoroughly with a fungicide. Let that dry and turn the bark over well. If you spot some moldy areas remove that bark and spray down well with fungicide again and let dry. Then consider thinning out the bark to allow better air flow to reduce the favorable environment for the fungus or mold growth.