Azalea Plants

Remove or Treat Sick Azaleas

turtle2 added on March 17, 2012 | Answered

My azaleas have new growth only at the ends of the stems. The stems, other than at the ends are bare. I had very few flowers this year and the plants look dreadful. How can I get the plants to fill out and become healthy for next year? Are these symptoms of near death experience requiring removal and replacement of the plants? Thanks, Bob

I would check the roots. Leaf loss on older parts of the plant are signs of Phytophthora root rot, which is not curable and the plants would need to be removed. But, it could be just run of the mill fungus as well.

Check the roots. If you see signs of root rot, the plants need to come out. If you do not see signs of root rot, treat with a fungicide and see if that does not clear things up a bit.

00
Here are more questions about Azalea Plants