Lettuce Plants

Red Sails Lettuce and Romaine

I have Red Sails lettuce growing in pots indoors under grow lights and planted in Miracle Grow potting soil. The problem is that it keeps wilting before the leaves start to turn red. At first I had a batch that I over watered, and they developed root rot and all died. I watered it when the leaves were wilting. I have a new batch that I let the soil dry out before I water it. Every time I water, it starts wilting. The temp is around 68-70 degrees, sometimes around 72. Could it be bolting? All of the outside leaves had died on the Romaine, and what little leaves are left, are long and skinny.  It keeps growing more in the middle, making it taller. All my other herbs and chard are doing great. Could it be the temperature?

I don't think it is bolting. How are you watering it? From above or below? If you are doing it from above, I would try watering from below instead. Also, don't let the soil dry out completely before watering. It should just be dry to the touch on top. If you stick your finger into the soil, it should still be damp. This is the correct time to water it.

Here are more questions about Lettuce Plants