Protea Plants

Rebuilding Berms for New Plantings of Proteas. Soil Question

I am rebuilding my berms for Proteas. I know not to use phosphorus, wonder if mushrooms, aged chicken manure, bat guano found in "soil booster" and mixed with 50/50 mixture ofplanting soil would be appropriate. I was successful several years ago in creating berms of native soil and a top soil. It has been 15 years and my proteas have been healthy. Now time for renewal and I am questioning the content of some soils I have. HELP, I am ready to do this, but don't wantto jeopardize my planting of new plants. Thank you so much for your assistance. Pat Voss - Napa Valley, CA

No need to question the soil content and needs! Have a soil test preformed to determine the best way to amend your soil. Your nearest County Extension Office can help you with a soil test for a small fee. This will take the 'guess' out of the process and will most likely save you lots of time and money in this garden project.

All of the organic materials that you mention are great amendments, but the true determination is what is going on in the soil that you all ready have.

Here are some links for you including a link to help you locate your nearest Extension Office.

Here are more questions about Protea Plants