Vermiculture

Rat-Tailed Maggots in My Vermicompost

Fred and Cris added on February 24, 2017 | Answered

I just saw 4 rat-tailed maggots in my vermicompost which I have in the Netherlands. We usually have the bin inside during winter but due to flies we put them outside during the day, maybe that's how these maggots came in. I don't know if we got rid of them and I would like to know how to do so; they are so gross. Also, I guess that my vermicompost is too wet, but I'm not sure how to make it drier, as it rains frequently here so I can't keep them outside to let the soil dry.

Fly's can easily be attracted to the decomposing foods, especially meat.

Most maggots are not an issue, they are helping break down the material.

The worms may even carried the eggs when you received them.

It's not an issue, unless you can't tolerate them!

You could remove the unprocessed food scraps to another container and as many maggots as you can.
This will give the worms time to break down the material, then add in the scraps slowly.
This should help change the environment to a more unappealing place for the fly's and maggots.

00
Here are more questions about Vermiculture