Raspberry Plants

Raspberries

jonwitmer added on February 14, 2018 | Answered

I bought some raspberry plants from the grocery store last summer that were on super sale. I realize now they were on super sale because they were mostly dead. I still tried to transfer/plant them in my yard, but nothing really happened with them, one of them maybe grew a leaf or two. Looking at them in the fall, they were extremely brittle, and the "stalks" just broke off. I ended up just breaking them off to about 2 inches above the soil. Finally, my question is, is there a chance they might come back in the spring? Or should I cut my losses and get some new plants if I want to grow raspberries?

As you found out, the grocery store is not a good place for healthy plants and it will probably sell the less distinguished varieties. If you kept them watered, they may send up shoots but will not likely produce berries this year. However, I would do some homework about the improved varieties that are available. You may be happier in the long run with paying a bit more.

00
Here are more questions about Raspberry Plants