Fountain Grass

Question About Fountain Grass Care

I planted 6 individual Fountain Grass plants in my landscaped front yard 3 years ago. They were all spaced very nicely with Yucca in between and all in a gravel bed. Now the grasses have pretty much taken over. You can hardly see any of the Yucca or the gravel bed. They are also quite tall now. What can I do to return the original look? Can the grass be thinned out? If so, how? Also, can they be regularly trimmed down to maintain a lower height or will this damage the plants? I like a sparse, clean look where you can actually walk in between and around each plant. . . now everything has pretty much run together. Please help.

Are you sure what you have is truly fountain grass? I'm only asking because this grass rarely causes problems with taking over--they are not aggressive spreaders but rather clump-forming. At any rate, yes they can be pruned. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/fountain-grass/fountain-grass-pruning.htm

00
Here are more questions about Fountain Grass