Pumpkin Plants

Pumpkin Survival in High Heat

Hopeful gardener added on August 4, 2016 | Answered

I have 2 Atlantic Giant pumpkin plants. Both have a well set pumpkin. One 16" circumference the other 33". I am growing for size. I have read everything I can get my hands on. The question I have concerns the 33." It is approx 8 ft from the base of the plant. Recently, we have had a heat wave up to 108*. Of the 8 full size leaves between the pumpkin and its base 4 have brown edges. THE QUESTION IS: Can the pumpkin continue to grow with only 4 problem free large leaves and several problem free small leaves between the base and the fruit? There are many good leaves after the fruit. Or should I throw in the towel and pull and discard it? Thanks

Pumpkins are considered a relatively heat-tolerant plant, so your pumpkin can most likely make it if you give it a chance. If you can, provide some shade for the plant. Water consistently in the early morning, and avoid watering during the hot part of the day since this can "burn" the leaves. Also make sure you don't over-fertilize as this can cause crispy leaf edges.

Here are more questions about Pumpkin Plants