Schefflera Plants

Pruning Schefflera Leaf Stems

mb added on July 28, 2012 | Answered

I have great luck in propagating schefflera (dwarf) by cutting off the tops. However, how do I prune the leaves to promote growth along the stem? It's worked for me before, but I can't remember how I did it. Do I cut flush with the trunk, or do I leave the nub that attaches the leaf stem to the trunk? Do I keep that part moist with sphagnum moss or just leave it bare?

You shouldn't have any problem getting the cut stem of dwarf schefflera - otherwise known as arboricola - to sprout new growth; they're generally very enthusiastic. It is not necessary to cut off leaves - new growth will sprout from the area near the cut, removing leaves has nothing to do with it. Also, if you were to wrap it with sphagnum, you would be encouraging it to make roots.; look up "air layering" for more info.

00
Here are more questions about Schefflera Plants