Peach Trees

Pruning Peach Tree

I want to plant a peach tree. I do not want it to be overwhelming in size. Can I keep it pruned back every year and still get a nice size crop, or not kill it? My neighbor, next to where it would be best to plant the tree (lots of sunshine), over waters his area. Should I be concerned and dig a run off from the tree in case it over waters my tree as well?

When pruning a peach tree, keep in mind that an open center is the best shape as this allows the sunlight to reach most of the branches. The best time of year to prune is in February once the danger of frost has passed but before any fruit has begun blooming.

First, cut off any dead or damaged limbs. Next, remove any branches growing towards the center of the tree as well as any downward-facing shoots. Also remove any small, thin shoots. Once blooming has begun, it may also help to pinch off some of the buds to induce more productive fruit.

Runoff should not be a problem, but if it is, you can put up some type of barrier to redirect the flow of any water.

00
Here are more questions about Peach Trees