Knockout Rose Bushes

Pruning Knockout Roses

jward added on July 9, 2015 | Answered

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my many questions! I think I have just one more though. Okay, so I will stop deadheading as I have been doing once or twice a week. Now, one expert said I could start "pruning" if my roses are getting too tall or wide. But can I still prune then even though I just planted them a few months ago? I read somewhere else that you should not prune until the rose bush has become "established," which is usually one year after your first growth season. But my bushes are definitely too tall and wide even though I just planted them 3 months ago. Please help!

You can shape prune the rosebushes anytime. With Knockout roses you do not want to prune too heavily as you will cause a longer delay in the new blooms coming on. They are what is known these days as Self Cleaning Rosebushes. They will continue to bloom without the need to deadhead or prune if so desired. Rosebushes are related to apple trees, pruning them helps send a message for more growth. The difference between Knockout roses and other roses is how their bloom cycles work. Pruning them to keep in an area and or shape can be done anytime, just be aware that it will through off their bloom cycle for the areas pruned.

Stan The Rose Man
Consulting Rosarian
Gardening Know How

Here are more questions about Knockout Rose Bushes