Holly Bushes

Pruning Holly Bushes

Cheyenne added on November 5, 2011 | Answered

I have a male and female holly bushes. I live in southern Ontario. Both bushes appear very healthy. I would like to make the female bush fuller and thought pruning it might be the answer. When is the best time to prune?

Holly bushes are usually pruned in winter. This article will help you with the basics: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/holly/trimming-holly-bushes-how-to-prune-holly-bushes.htm

Pruning is basically sculpting the plant. If you are aiming for a round shape, then start shaping them that way. If you need to remove more than a few inches to do this, you may want to take a little off this year and then do more next year, shaping the plants gradually. You should not cut away more than 1/3 in any one year.

00
Here are more questions about Holly Bushes