Orange Trees

Pruning Espalier Orange and Lemon Trees

I just planted two espalier trees: a Washington navel and a Meyer lemon. I have never pruned an espalier tree and need some information on how to do it. The trees were both seven-gallon trees. I planted them a week ago. Should they be fertilized now or should I wait a while? Any help you can give me on pruning and fertilizing would be appreciated.

I would wait at least a year before pruning them. This will allow them to focus on establishing their roots system rather than healing wounds. Fertilizer is a good idea as that will help them get the energy they need to establish. In the meantime, you can keep the plants fertilized but start lightly, just to be safe--maybe half strength. Also, be sure to keep up with watering. This is very important to a tree establishing well.

When they are established, this article will help with pruning:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/projects/espalier-instructions.htm

00
Here are more questions about Orange Trees