Apricot Trees

Pruning Apricot Tree

I have read and seen on the web how to prune an apricot tree to the correct shape, but I never see addressed how to prune the tree to reduce the height. My tree is about 5 years old and 10 or 11 feet tall. The shoots grow very fast. Do I just lop off the tops of the branches at the height I want? If I do that, won't it produce a mass of new branching from the point where I cut the branch? I don't see any buds; the branches are just long shoots with leaves all the way to the end of the branches. Any advice would be appreciated.

Annual pruning of the tree will help with maintaining the tree's height. When you prune for shape, take off what you want for the height as well and then continue this each year to keep it at the height you require.

00
Here are more questions about Apricot Trees