Rose Of Sharon Plants

Pruning a Young Rose of Sharon

jimodonohue added on July 29, 2014 | Answered

This summer I had some rogue Rose of Sharon stems growing within a Rhododendron. There were 5 of them. I pulled them out, including the root and transplanted them along the side of my patio to create a hedgerow for privacy. At this point they are doing well, but are tall and spindly. They vary from about 3-7 feet tall. (see picture) I would like to encourage some branching out along with some lower trunk development or perhaps an increase in the number of trunks.(I'm not sure if that's a good way to describe it.) At their young age I wasn't sure how far back they should be pruned. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rose of sharon is a rampant grower ( that's why you found them among your rhodys) so you can prune just about any way you want, and also just about any time except winter. If you want to have your hedge full at the bottom, prune back to 8 - 12" from the ground. If you want to have the branches start higher (maybe you want a different kind of plant below them) cut them where you want the branching to start. Here's an article with more tips:

Here are more questions about Rose Of Sharon Plants