Hibiscus Plants

Pruning a Standard Hibiscus

Is there a way to stop shoots from the base when you have a hibiscus growing as a standard ie single trunk? My hibiscus are 12 ft tall with a single trunk and now have numerous shoots from the ground also 12 ft tall. when I cut these shoots at ground level can I, say ,put kerosene on the cut surface to stop them shooting again (like banana suckers) or something else that will not hurt the main plant?

I don't recommend putting kerosene or any herbicide on the cut ends, because that could damage the roots and the entire plant. The best way to control suckers is to just patiently reomove them when they're small and to prune the rest of the tree regularly but not excessively:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/tree-sucker-removal-and-tree-sucker-control.htm

00
Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants