Fig Tree

Pruning a Fig Tree in Spring

ladymacbeth added on April 25, 2012 | Answered

I live in Pacific NW and due to adjacent building, I have to prune back my very old fig tree heavily on one side in early May. I know it's a bad time since it's starting to leaf. Is there anything I can do to make it easier on the tree? Would June or July be better if I can get the builders to wait? Also, should I paint the ends of cut branches with tree paint. Thanks for any help.

While pruning them back during active growth is usually not recommended, if you must do so, get it done now before the heat of summer. I would not paint anything on the cuts, as this may only seal in bacteria or disease. However, you could spray them with neem oil, which should help guard the tree against any possible pests or disease issues that may develop through the late pruning.

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree