Fountain Grass

Pruning Grass in Tropics

Have fountain grass. I am not sure what variety it is. It is green and puts out stems with graceful tiny red seeds. It is now putting out a few thicker stems. Last year they grew to 3-4 ft. This year they are over 6 feet tall and 5-6 feet wide. What type is it? My other question is, can I prune it now? It has a lot of dead ones that I usually just pull out. It is early August. I usually wait until winter, but it looks bad and it still is growing season. In fact, here it is all but a few months a year. Last year in was quite unusual and froze. It is supposed to be a normal winter with temps from 80's in daytime to lowest about 50's at night. Even if we do get another cold sanp, that would not be for at least 5 months from now. So, is it OK to cut it back now? I appreciate your help.

I would say yes, go ahead and prune it back but merely give it a good trim rather than a hard prune. Save that for late winter/early spring. Here is an article that you may find helpful:

Here are more questions about Fountain Grass