Hydrangea Plants

Propagating Hydrangeas

Effie4lil1s added on July 25, 2012 | Answered

I planted two Hydrangea stems 1 week ago today and last night I noticed that the wooden skewers I used to keep the bag from touching the leaves is growing mold. Should I replace the wooden skewers? When can I keep the bag off of the Hydrangeas?

It sounds like you need some ventiliation holes in the bag, as there is too much moisture. Carefully poke a few holes in the bag to allow for some air flow. You only need the bag while the cuttings are forming roots. Once they have some root growth, you may remove the bag for good. To check for root growth, lift the bag so that you may lightly tug at the cutting. If there is resistance, then it has formed roots. If it comes out of the soil fairly easy, replace the bag over top as it needs more time.

Here are more questions about Hydrangea Plants