Maidenhair Grass

Problems With Maidenhair Grass

robinholly added on May 13, 2014 | Answered

I bought a one gallon "Adagio" maidenhair ornamental grass last April and planted it immediately in a good sunny spot with good drainage. The problem is that it has not changed its overall size at all since planting day. I thought it needed a season to get going but am wondering if it's dead and how I would know.

Its leaves were straw colored all winter, with maximum leaf length about 2 inches. Like everyone, our winter was super cold. Did that affect it? I trimmed the straw colored leaves back last week thinking it was sending energy to them instead of putting out new growth but nothing has changed. There is a single green strand of grass coming out the middle but nowhere else. How can I tell if this plant is alive or should it be replaced?

Thank you for your help!

The grass blades that are brown are dead - the plant is not sending any energy into them. If there is some green coming up, that's the live part, so the plant might make it, if you can be patient. I'm curious, however, about your description of the leaves as being 2"; miscanthus 'adagio' has a length of 3 - 4'. Are you sure you have what you think you have? You might want to discuss the situation with the store you purchase it from.

00
Here are more questions about Maidenhair Grass