Prickly Pear Cactus

Prickly Pear Cactus

mia added on June 27, 2011 | Answered

I have a prickly pear that is about 15 years old. In all the time I have had it, it has only bloomed once. It was covered with hundreds of yellow flowers. What am I doing wrong? I have taken a piece of it and started a new one a few years ago. I keep that outside year round, I live in Zone 6. The original I bring in every fall along with my night blooming cactus.

Please help and thank you

It may not be getting enough cold in the winter. They need cold, dry winters to bloom and in the house, it may not be cool enough or kept dry enough.

I would check to see what the exact zones are for your variety of prickly pear cactus. It may be able to survive outside year round where you live. If this is the case, in the fall, move it to a sheltered location, like under an eve, where it will not get too much water from rain or snow.

Here are more questions about Prickly Pear Cactus