Weed Control

Practical Uses of Salt

You mention on your site the following: How to kill a tree with salt. . . In wars past, salting the earth was how traitors were punished. Land that has salt added to it will not support life, even tree life. Be aware though that salting will end up killing trees, grass and any vegetative life in the immediate area. Also, it may be quite some time before anything else grows there. My question is, how do I prepare the salt to be applied to my garden? What are the practical applications of this method? I have a garden that is full of brambles, nettles and all sorts of mess. We want to pave over it, but first we have to kill it.

You only have to lay the salt down and water just a little to get it into the soil. The plants will start to die in a few days. You need to be careful though, any runoff into flower beds you want to keep will kill the plants there too.

00
Here are more questions about Weed Control