Potting Mixture

Anonymous added on August 7, 2015 | Answered

What is builder's sand? I notice a lot of plants require a mixture of sand for good drainage but I'm not sure where to find this sand. When I go to Home Depot or Lowes, they only have play sand or paving sand. Nothing that says "builder's sand."

Share this Question:
Log in or sign up to help answer this question.
Check here if you would like to receive notifications every time this question is answered.
You are subscribed to receive notifications whenever this question is answered.
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Answered on August 7, 2015

Builder's sand is coarse sand that can improve soil drainage and is often found in the masonry department of most home centers. It has a much larger grain than play sand. If you are unable to find builder's sand, vermiculite will achieve the same purpose and should be easier to find.

Was this answer useful?
Looking for more?
Here are more questions about Soil

You must be logged into your account to answer a question.

If you don't have an account sign up for an account now.